Edinboro University makes every effort to ensure student success through a proactive faculty advisement process. 

          Academic Advisement and Student Responsibility

          Upon entering Edinboro University, each student is assigned a faculty advisor who, by experience, professional background and example, is well qualified to help the student plan a program of study, develop strategies for academic success, and gain insight into career preparation. Academic advisors are available during regularly scheduled office hours or by appointment to meet with their advisees. Academic advisement is critical in a university education.

          In addition, professional counseling is available to those needing help with academic or personal problems. See Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) for more information.

          The student is responsible for ensuring that all requirements for graduation have been met. Students are expected to discuss, on a regular basis, the development and execution of a plan of study for their academic program with the assigned advisor. Ultimately, the final responsibility rests with the student.

          Undeclared Advising

          An academic advisor is provided for each undeclared student. This advisor serves as the student’s first point of contact on matters relating to registration, schedule changes, and other academic procedures. Academic advisors also provide services that encourage students to explore their academic and career options to support the timely selection of an appropriate major. Because undeclared students are required to declare their major by the time they complete 45 semester hours, they are encouraged to use the Center for Career Development services.

          The Piper’s Quick Advising Guide

          by Dr. Michael Bucell

          Additional and detailed information can be obtained in the Undergraduate Catalog

          STEP 1 – Review the requirements for your major.

          Become familiar with the requirements of the curriculum for the degree program in which you plan your major course of study. Visit Records and Registration to get a copy of your curriculum requirement form or curriculum sheet. In addition, a course sequence form is provided for most majors that details the order in which the faculty recommend you try to take the courses that will be required to graduate. You will want to print out these forms and refer to them as you plan or review your schedule of classes. Transfer students should become familiar with the degree evaluation tool in S.C.O.T.S., which will detail how the courses you have completed (and in which you are currently enrolled) satisfy the curriculum requirements for your degree program. You will find the degree evaluation link along with access to your academic transcript under the Student Records area in S.C.O.T.S.

          STEP 2 – Become familiar with the General Education Requirements.

          All undergraduate degree programs include basic course requirements known as General Education, which is explained in the Undergraduate Catalog. Check your “curriculum sheet” to determine whether your degree program has specific courses that must be taken as part of your major course of study when completing the General Education requirements. When none is indicated, you may select an approved course from the list provided. In the process of scheduling classes, you use the S.C.O.T.S. Registration area to “Look up classes” that are approved for General Education by selecting the Attribute feature. A wide variety of additional useful information is available by looking in the Scheduling Book.

          STEP 3 – Become familiar with S.C.O.T.S

          S.C.O.T.S. is the acronym for our Student Centered On-Line Transaction System. It includes areas for your Personal Information profile and Student Records, both academic and financial, as well as Registration for scheduling classes. You’re able to access this information over the Internet from any computer using a web-browser. Microsoft’s Internet Explorer is recommended. Before continuing, review the Using S.C.O.T.S. tutorial. It will show you how to log in as a first-time user. The remainder of the tutorial will familiarize you with the Registration component for scheduling classes. Log on to S.C.O.T.S. from the myEdinboro portal.

          STEP 4 – Talk to a faculty advisor before you schedule classes.

          This step is absolutely necessary for several reasons. The practical reason is that you need a special Alternate PIN in order to schedule classes using S.C.O.T.S. Registration. The Alternate PIN can only be obtained from a faculty academic advisor. It is provided when you meet with your advisor to discuss your academic plans for the upcoming semester or summer session. Planning should include the courses that you intend to schedule, as well as alternate courses in case of course unavailability. The Alternate PIN for scheduling classes changes each semester, so you must meet with your faculty advisor regularly. Your faculty advisor can provide helpful information that will promote your success and satisfaction at Edinboro University.

          What if your faculty advisor is not available?

          This can occur between semesters and also during the summer when only a few of the faculty are on contract to teach courses. Try to contact your advisor using email or voicemail message. If there is no response in a day or two, you may contact the chairperson of the academic department that houses the academic program for your major. This is most appropriate for new transfer and returning students. Telephone numbers and email addresses can be obtained using the Campus Directory.