Jobs and Internships
Making sure Edinboro University students are fully prepared for the professional world is a priority for the University, as the many fantastic internship opportunities available to Communications, Journalism and Media students and the notable career achievements of Department alumni continue to prove.
Hands-on, real-world experience is hard to beat. Edinboro University recognizes that experiential learning is a valuable tool in helping students to make career decisions and in complementing formal classroom learning. While some Edinboro University majors require an internship, cooperative education, student teaching or research experience in order to graduate, many students elect to pursue an internship to augment their educational portfolio. Every major has one or more designated internship directors to assist students with identifying opportunities and coordinating credits.
Recent internships in Northwestern Pennsylvania include: Bensur Advertising, UPMC Hamot, Widget Financial Credit Union, March of Dimes, Erie County Historical Society, American Red Cross, Epic Web Studios, Erie Brewing, Erie County Bar Association, Obama Campaign Erie, LECOM, Logistics Plus, St. Vincent Health Center, GE Transportation Systems, the Erie SeaWolves, WJET-TV and WQLN Public Media in Erie to name just a few.
Internships our majors have completed in other parts of the country include: Atlantic Records Corp. (New York, N.Y.), the Cleveland Clinic (Cleveland, Ohio), Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium (Pittsburgh, Pa.), Clear Channel Communication, Cleveland Dept. of Veterans Affairs (Cleveland, Ohio), ESPN, Office of the Speaker of the House (Harrisburg, Pa.), Pittsburgh Three Rivers Regatta (Pittsburgh, Pa.), Opera Cleveland (Cleveland, Ohio), Vail Resorts (Vail, Colo.), Pittsburgh Penguins (Pittsburgh, Pa.), the South Philly Review (Philadelphia, Pa.), Hilton Head Resort (Hilton Head Island, S.C.), the Republican National Committee (Washington, DC) and the U.S. Olympic Committee, among others.
Students who are interested in internship experiences are encouraged to contact the Department's internship coordinator, or visit the Center for Career Development for more information.
In today’s evolving workplace, the average person will change his or her career more than seven times. Having a Communication, Journalism or Media Studies degree provides you with the flexibility to get a job wherever you choose. The EU Center for Career Development assists students at the onset of their professional lives with many outstanding services, including building resume, interviewing and networking skills and offering numerous job fair opportunities annually both on- and off-campus.
The Communication, Journalism and Media Department at Edinboro University is represented by a long list of successful alumni who have graduated with undergraduate and graduate degrees from our department. These alumni represent a wide range of careers, demonstrating the versatility and flexibility of a Communication, Journalism or Media Studies degree. Here’s a sampling:
- Bryan Baumgartner ’14, BA Journalism/Mass Communication, is the Marketing Communication Project Manager for Choice Translating, Inc., Charlotte, N.C.
- Melissa Bruno '06, M'10, BA Print Journalism & MA Communication Studies, is the Brand Manager for Mother Earth Brewery in Kinston, N.C.
- Joelyn Bush ’08, BA Speech Communication, is the Marketing and Communications Manager at United Way of Erie County, Erie, Pa.
- Adam Campbell, ’08,’10, BA Speech Communication/MA in Communication Studies, is a Marketing Specialist at Diamond Pharmacy Services, Johnstown, Pa.
- Lisa Cassidy '05, BA Speech and Communication, is Senior Digital Strategist at Highmark Health in Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Joseph Cephas ’06, M’13, BA Speech and Communication & MA Communication Studies, is Vice President of Communications at the American Society of Interior Designers.
- Ann Coleman ’95, BA Speech Communication, is the Director of Prospect Research at the University of Baltimore in Baltimore, Md.
- Bryan Deibel '14, BA Journalism/Mass Communication, is the National Associate Producer for MileSplit USA, Austin, Texas.
- Emily (Reeher) Dolski, ’10, BA Speech Communication, is the Early Identification Program Manager at GE Transportation in Erie, Pa.
- Aaron L. Gast, ’10, BA Communication Studies, is the Web Account Manager at Werkbot Studios in Erie, Pa.
- Elaine Gibson ’02, ’05, BA Communication and Media Studies/MA in Communication Studies, is the Graduate Medical Education Department Manager at UPMC Hamot Hospital in Erie, Pa.
- Sarah J. Glover ’07, MA Communication Studies, is Social Media Editor for NBC-owned Television Stations in New York City.
- Kim Green, ‘93, BA Speech Communication, is the Executive Director at City of Erie Redevelopment Authority in Erie, Pa.
- Gregory Harris ’12, MA Communication Studies, is the Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Studies at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Courtney Hillhouse, ’05, ’07, BA Speech Communication/MA Communication Studies, is the Community Prevention Coordinator at Mt. Ascutney Hospital and Health Center, in Windsor, Vt.
- KC Kantz ’07, BA Broadcast Journalism, is a sports anchor for WTAJ TV in Altoona, Pa.
- Kelsey Knoll '13, Journalism/Mass Communication, is Associate Customer Content Specialist for PR Newswire in Cleveland, Ohio.
- Jessica Kunz '14, BA Journalism/Mass Communication, is an Anchor/Reporter for WCIA-TV in Champaign, Ill.
- Pamela Lange, ’11, BA in Communication Studies, is a Communication Manager at Walt Disney Company in Orlando, Fla.
- Randy McIlwain ’90, BA Speech and Communication, is a reporter for KNBC-TV in Los Angeles, Calif.
- Emily F. Morris ’88, BA Speech and Communication, is the Executive Communications Director at Kent State University.
- Jaclyn (Muenz) Moore, ’08, BA in Speech Communication, is a Pharmaceutical Sales Representative at Strativa Pharmaceuticals in Nashville, Tenn.
- Anna (List) Morris, ’12, MA Communication Studies, is a Communication Specialist at The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio.
- Michael Neal ’82, BA in Speech Communication, is the Executive Vice President and East Central Division Operating Officer at the American Cancer Society in Harrisburg, Pa.
- Patrick Nuzzo '14, BA Journalism/Mass Communication, is Project Associate Editor for ESPN in Bristol, Conn.
- Melissa (Anderson) Parker, ’08, MA in Communication Studies, is the Academic Program Advisor at The Washington Center in Washington, DC.
- Brian Prezgay, ’99, BA in Speech Communication, is the Head of Global Strategy at CloudTags and Principal at Pixels & Bricks in New York, N.Y.
- Maura Sirianni '13, BA Journalism and Mass Communication, is a reporter with WDRB-TV in Louisville, Kentucky
- Jack Speer ’81, BA Speech and Communication, is a newscaster for National Public Radio in Washington, DC.
- Melissa (Hennen) Uzzo ’09, MA in Communication Studies, is the Training Program Manager at The Training Connection, San Francisco, Calif.
- Chris Vallieres ’10, ’12, BA Communication Studies/MA in Communication Studies, is the Promotions Coordinator at Ainsworth Pet Nutrition in Meadville, Pa.
- Anam Wahidi, ’10, BA Communication Studies, is a Recruiting Consultant for Southern Company Energy, in Atlanta, Ga.
- Dr. Ken White ’82, M’99, BA Speech and Communications & MA Communication Studies, is Associate Dean, Mason School of Business, Williamsburg, Va.