Adult Student 11

Office of Adult Student Services

405 Scotland Road
211 Pogue Student Center
Edinboro, PA 16444
(814) 732-2701
Fax (814) 732-2909

Office Hours:
Mon. - Fri., 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
(Or other times by appointment)

Join us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube

Prospective Students - FAQ






Who is considered an "adult" student?

An adult student is generally a student who is 25 years old or older but can also be a student (regardless of age)

  • with legal dependents
  • who is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • who is independent for financial aid purposes (i.e. does not need to use their parents' income information for financial aid)

Adult students at Edinboro University include fully employed, downsized workers, those going through a career change, and those who were unable to go to college right out of high school.

Do I need to take the SATs to get into college?

Generally, adult students do not need to take the SATs (Scholastic Aptitude Tests) if they have been out of high school two years or more.  The exception is admittance to the nursing program, the accelerated 2+3 pre-pharm/LECOM program, and the 3+4 pre-med/LECOM program.

What are placement exams and do I need to take them?

Upon admission to the University, you may be required to take a Math and/or English Placement Exam.  Below are commonly asked questions about those exams:  


Math Placement Answer

English Placement Answer

Who is required to take it?

Everyone (except those transferring in a college math course).


Only students without SAT or ACT scores need to take the placement test.  If a student is dissatisfied with their placement based on those scores, they can take the placement test.

How long is it?

10-30 minutes - the more you know, the longer it takes.


Approximately one hour

Is it given on a computer?


No.  It is an essay exam written in longhand.


What is a passing score?

It depends on the course you are trying to get in to.  Your score and your major will determine the placement given.

There is no passing score.  A determination is simply made to place you in English 010 or English 101.

Can it be retaken?

Yes, for a total of two times.  Please study a few weeks in between sessions as we have to pay for each test.


Is there any way to study for it?

Basic review of arithmetic and algebra



When can it be taken?

During Orientation.  In special cases, the Math and Computer Science Department will schedule makeup days.

During Orientation or in the English Department Office during regular business hours.

Where can it be taken?

At Orientation

At Orientation or in the English Department Office.

Is there a cost?

No.  (All costs are covered by your Orientation fee.)

No.  (All costs are covered by your Orientation fee.)

 For additional information about the Math Placement Exam, visit this site:
Math Accu-Placer

Does Edinboro offer evening/weekend/online classes?

Yes.  Edinboro University offers evening, weekend, and online classes.  Please see this link for a list of classes offered: Class Schedule

Can I accelerate my graduation by earning credit for knowledge or experience I already have?

Yes.  Edinboro University offers three programs for earning credited for prior knowledge/experience.  Please see the link below for more information:
Accelerated Means of Earning Credits

Can I get financial aid?

If you take at least six credits (2 courses) per semester, you may qualify for financial aid including grants, loans, and scholarships.  To qualify for any assistance from federal, state or University aid programs, a student must complete the Free Application for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA) online at  Students can file the FAFSA, Renewal FAFSA , or FAFSA on the Web after January 1 for each new award year.  Students who filed the FAFSA in time for it to be received by the federal processor by March 15 will be given priority for Federal Work-Study, Federal SEOG, and the Federal Work Study programs.  However, students can file for financial aid at any time during the award year allowing at least a month for processing for the award period.  For more information about financial aid, please visit the Financial Aid Office website at the link below:
Financial Aid Office

What if I don't want to enroll just yet but would like to take a class to try it out?

If you would like to take a course but do not yet wish to pursue a degree, you can be admitted as a special student.  For more information on admission as a special student or to apply as a special student, visit the link below:
Special Student Application
Please note: students do not qualify for financial aid if they are a non-degree seeking (special student).

What if I find myself struggling academically?

Both nationally and at Edinboro University, adult students achieve great academic success.  However, if any student finds they are struggling in a class, Edinboro University has several services to assist.
Tutoring Program
Edinboro University's tutoring program has students who tutor, as well as faculty and staff tutorial assistance.  The tutors work mostly one-on-one with students, providing academic support and expertise.  They spend time working on academic problems that are unique to the student.  For more information on our tutoring program please visit this link:

Math Resource Center
Math is a subject that frequently intimidates adults who have been out of high school for a long time.  Edinboro University has a Math Resource Center which offers tutoring for a variety of Math subjects.  For the current schedule of Math tutoring through the Math Resource Center, contact the Math Department at (814) 732-2760.
Additionally, below are a few sites that will help adults brush up on their math skills:

Purple Math
Math Planet

Writing Center
Edinboro University also offers a Writing Center.  Students work with consultants and can receive help with any written work assigned to them.  State-of-the-art computers are housed within the Writing Center to assist student writing.  For more information on the Writing Center, please log in to the myEdinboro portal and see the link below:
Writing Center
Counseling and Psychological Services
Edinboro University offers Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) which provide a range of services. The services are intended to facilitate intellectual and personal growth by helping students to resolve concerns that may interfere with their academic progress, social development, and satisfaction at Edinboro University.  For more information about CAPS visit the following link:

All of the above services are offered without charge to enrolled students.  If you feel that you may have a learning disability that the above services cannot address, please contact the Office for Students with Disabilities at (814) 732-2462.

What if I attended Edinboro at one time but stopped out - do i need to reapply?

No, you do not need to reapply.  Simply fill out the reinstatement form at this link:
Reinstatement form



Useful Links: