Federal Perkins Loan Addendum
- Federal Perkins Loan Addendum
The Federal Perkins MPN has been revised by the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007 (CCRAA) (Pub. L. 110-84) and the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA) (Pub. L. 108-315) and is available beginning October 1, 2009. If you signed a Perkins MPN before that date, please go to the website provided here and read the attached Addendum for important changes to the terms and conditions of your loan.
The Federal Perkins Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) has been updated to reflect changes to the terms and conditions of Perkins Loans that were made by the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007 (CCRAA) (Pub. L. 110-84) and the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA) (Pub. L. 108-315).
The Department of Education (the Department) has developed an Addendum to explain the changes made by the CCRAA and the HEOA to borrowers who sign the current Perkins MPN before the revised MPN is implemented, or who previously received Perkins Loans under an MPN or promissory note that was signed before the Addendum was made available. The statutory changes reflected in the revised Perkins MPN and Addendum include the following:
- Change in the number of consecutive monthly payments required for loan rehabilitation from twelve to nine.
- Change in forbearance requirements to allow for oral forbearance requests.
- Changes to the active duty military deferment provisions and addition of a new post-active duty deferment.
- New loan cancellation provisions for attorneys employed in a defender organization, firefighters, tribal college or university faculty, librarians, and speech-language pathologists.
- Expansion of teacher cancellation to include teachers who perform qualifying service at a school or location operated by a low-income educational service agency.
- Expansion of Head Start cancellation to include full-time staff members in a pre-kindergarten or child care program that is licensed or regulated by the State.
- Increase in the maximum amount that may be cancelled for military service from 50 percent to 100 percent.
In addition to the changes described above, the revised Perkins MPN includes, on page 1, a new authorization that allows for the use of automated telephone dialing equipment or artificial or pre-recorded voice or text messages to contact the borrower regarding his or her loan request or loan(s) at any current or future number for a cell phone or other wireless device that the borrower provides.
The full Perkins Loan Addendum is available to your for review online.
If you have any questions, please contact the Bursar Office at 814-732-5555 ext. 472.