School of Education
- Praxis Information
Testing Requirements by Certificate Type
Instructional I Certification
- § Initial certification for Early Childhood Education N-3*, Elementary Education K-6*, and all K-12 areas: Agriculture, Art, Business/Computer/Information Technology, Environmental Education, Family and Consumer Science, Health, Health and Physical Education, Library Science, Marketing Education, Music, Reading Specialist, Hearing Impaired, Special Education N-12*, Speech & Language Impaired, Visually Impaired, Technology Education and World Languages:
TEST(S) To register, go to:
PAPA**: Reading, Writing, Mathematics*** http://www.pa.nesinc.com/
Fundemental Subjects: Content Knowledge http://www.ets.org/praxis/pa
Appropriate Content Area test (Praxis II) http://www.ets.org/praxis/pa
*Please note: Candidates prepared at a Pennsylvania college/university who completed the student teaching requiremnet prior to the fall semester 2003 must also take the Principles of Learning and Teaching test (K-6 or 7-12). http://www.ets.org/praxis/pa
- § Initial certification for Grades PK-4, Special Education PK-8 or 7-12:
- § Initial certification for Grades 4-8:
PAPA: Reading, Writing, Mathematics***
Grades 4-8 Core Assessment Tests (3 Modules) http://www.ets.org/praxis/pa
Grades 4-8 Concentration Tests (per subject area) http://www.ets.org/praxis/pa
- Initial certification for Secondary certificates (grades 7-12):
PAPA: Reading, Writing, Mathematics*** http://www.pa.nesinc.com/
Appropriate content area test for secondary subject(s) http://www.ets.org/praxis/pa
*Please note:Candidates prepared at a Pennsylvania college/university who completed student teaching prior to the fall semester 2003 must also take the Principles of Learning and Teaching test (K-6 or 7-12).http://www.ets.org/praxis/pa
- § Middle level Grades 7-9* certification:
Appropriate content area test for grades 7-9: http://www.ets.org/praxis/pa
PAPA: Reading, Writing, Mathematics*** http://www.pa.nesinc.com/
Educational Specialist Certificate
- § Elementary Counselor, Secondary Counselor, School Psychologist:
Appropriate content area test http://www.ets.org/praxis/pa
- § School Nurse, Home and School Visitor, Instructional Technology Specialist:
* Educational Specialist candidates with a baccalaureate degree who hold a current and valid Pennsylvania license as a counselor, dental hygienist, psychologist, registered nurse, or social worker can provide a copy of this valid Pennsylvania license as part of their application for the related Pennsylvania Educational Specialist certification area. Holders of these valid appropriate licenses are not required to take any tests to receive the related certification.
Administrative & Supervisory Certificates
- § Principal and Vocational Administrative Director Administrative Certificate:
**Effective September 1, 2012, candidates for Principal and Vocational Administrative Director certification will be required to successfully complete the School Leadership Licensure Assessment Educational Leadership:Administration and Supervision test (1011 or 6011). The Educational Leadership: Adminstration and Supervision (0411) will be accepted if passed prior to August 31, 2012 and within ten years of the date of application. http://www.ets.org/praxis/pa
*Note: Effective April 2, 2012 all applicants wishing to add these certificate areas are also required to pass the appropriate test within ten years of the date of application.
- § Supervisor and Supervisor of Vocational Education Supervisory Certificate:
Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision (0411) http://www.ets.org/praxis/pa
- § Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent, Letter of Eligibility:
Effective December 1, 2012: School Superintendent Assessment(1020) http://www.ets.org/praxis/pa
- § Vocational I:
PPST: Reading, Writing http://www.ets.org/praxis/pa
Occupational Competency Assessment
- § Vocational II:
PPST Mathematics or the Vocational General Knowledge test (0890) if taken prior to 9/1/2008 and within ten years of the date of application. http://www.ets.org/praxis/pa
Individuals holding a Pennsylvania Instructional I, Instructionall II, or Pennsylvania Teacher Intern certificate may add most other instructional areas by taking and passing the Praxis II content area test and then submitting an application to the Bureau. All other certificate holder may not add to their certificates using this method unless they also hold one of the three permitted certificate types specified above.
Instructional areas that may NOT be added by using the test only include: Cooperative Education, Early Childhood Education N-3, Elementary Education K-6, Grades Pre K-4, Grades 4-8, Health and Physical Education, Reading Specialist and all Special Education areas. Completion of an approved program and the appropriate subject assessment test are required to add an excluded instructional area, Educational Specialist, Supervisory, or Administrative certificate.
Apply for Instructional Add-ons online using TIMS (www.PA-TIMS.com) for and Instructional I (even if you hold an Instructional II certificate), select the subject, and answer yes to the next question. You must hold an Instructional I or Instructional II before you can apply for an add-on. Individuals seeking dual certification are required to successfully complete tests in both areas of specialization and must submit a separate application for each subject.
*Certificates available only through August 31, 2013. All requirements must be met and application received prior to this date.
**Those who completed at least one PPST test or registered for at least one PPST test prior to April 2, 2012 must pass the PPST Reading, PPST Writing and PPST Mathematics avaliable from, http://www.ets.org/praxis/pa.
***As of July 1, 2011, post-baccalaureate program candidates do not need to take the PPSTs or PAPA.
NEW 2012-2013 PRAXIS test dates and registration deadlines are available by clicking Test Dates, Registration Information, and Reporting Codes
Reporting Site for Tests: Wiley Arts & Sciences Center, room 117
You may be directed to a different location for testing, please allow additional travel time (approximately 10 minutes). There will be lists posted in Wiley Arts & Sciences Center of specific test locations. Compare your admission slip with the list to determine your specific test site. Questions can be directed to testing staff in Wiley.
PLEASE ALLOW FOR THE FOLLOWING SESSION TIMES
First session: 7:30am to 10:30am
Second session: 10:30am to 1:30pm