FIRE EVACUATION GUIDE
IN CASE OF FIRE OR VISIBLE SMOKE, ACTUATE THE FIRE ALARM
- Fire alarm pull stations are activated by pulling down the handle located on the pull station.
- If the pull station has a clear cover to protect against vandalism it must be lifted first, and then the pull station lever must be activated.
NOTE: lifting the clear plastic cover will activate a tamper alarm. Do not confuse this with the fire alarm.
ELEVATORS MUST NOT BE USED IN AN EMERGENCY. With the loss of power, you can become trapped. The elevator shafts act like a chimney for heat and smoke, creating a deadly condition.
When the fire alarm sounds ALL persons MUST leave the building immediately DO NOT PANIC!
DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR UNTIL YOU HAVE:
- Checked for smoke seepage around the door cracks.
- Feel the inside of the door. IF IT IS HOT DO NOT OPEN!
- If the door is cool, cautiously open it with you body braced against it. While one hand is on the knob hold one hand over the door opening to detect any blast of hot air.
IF YOU CAN LEAVE THE ROOM:
- Be sure you have on shoes because the stairs may be hot.
- Carry a towel with you to cover your face should you encounter smoke. Stay low and crawl in smoky areas.
- Close all doors and windows behind you.
- Leave the lights on, but do not lock doors.
- Proceed to the nearest exit. If all exits are blocked return to your room and follow the instructions in the next section.
IF YOUR DOOR IS HOT, DO NOT OPEN IT, INSTEAD:
- Seal up the cracks around the door using damp towels, sheets etc. This will help to hold back heat and smoke.
- Open windows slightly, both top and bottom, as well as let in fresh air and let out bad air.
- Hang a sheet out the windows to signal rescuers.
- If you have access to a phone, call the University Police at 814-732- 2911 or call 911 and report your room number and location.
AFTER YOU LEAVE THE BUILDING:
- Stand clear of the building, a minimum of 100 feet.
- Report to the pre-designated meeting area.
- Fire apparatus will need room to maneuver around the building. Stay off sidewalks, parking lots and streets.
- NEVER re-enter the building until Police or Fire Officials give the all clear.
- Follow instructions of police and fire personnel.