If you have a question, please contact us at 732-2743 or at the email address below. 

Contact us

Join us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Homect_img
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Do I have a urinary tract infection?

Symptoms of a UTI include fever, back, groin or flank pain, pain with urination, burning with urination, frequent urination and sometimes blood in your urine.  If you have any of these symptoms make an appointment at the SHS.  Be prepared to provide a urine specimen.


  • Can I have a pregnancy test at Ghering Health Center?

Yes. A urine specimen would need to be given.  The test is accurate only when you have reached two days prior to your period.  Any sooner than that and you may get a false negative.  There will be a lab charge of $5 to your Bursar's account.


  • Can you help if I want to quit smoking?

Yes. When you come for your appointment to the SHS you can be referred to Joye, our Nurse Practitioner for smoking cessation classes or you can reference an on-line smoking cessation program.  If medication is appropriate, a prescription can be provided.  In addition a free quit line is available from the PA Department of Health by calling 1-877-724-1090.


  • Can you help if I need emergency contraception?

Yes.  The emergency contraceptive pill is available at the Health Center.  The cost is $30.00 which is billed to your Bursar account.  Call the Health Center and ask to speak with a nurse who will schedule your appointment.  The emergency contractive if most effective in the first seventy-two hours after unprotected intercourse or condom failure.


  • I have had a sore throat for a long time, what should I do?

If your symptoms have lasted for over a week, make an appointment at the SHS to be evaluated.  If not, try increasing your intake of raw fruits and vegetables and drink more fluids.  If you are not allergic to Ibuprofen, take 2 tablets 3 times a day and gargle with salt water.  If you have a fever or white spots on your throat, make an appointment at the SHS.


  • I haven't felt like myself and I am feeling sad about leaving home, what should I do?

Counseling and Psychological Services has counselors and psychologists available to help you.  Call 732-2252 for an appointment.  Their offices are located in the Ghering Health & Wellness Center.  If you would rather see a medical provider, contact the SHS for an appointment at 732-2743.


  • I want to go to an AA meeting and I'm new here, where can I go?

On campus there are 2 weekly meetings at the Ghering Health & Wellness Center.  A "Women's Unity" meeting is on Tuesday at 7:30 pm.  On Wednesday there is a "Scots Group" meeting at 12 noon.  For other meetings, reference the AA link on the community resources webpage.


  • I am in an abusive relationship and I'm scared, what should I do?

Call SafeNet at 455-1774 or Safe Journey at 814-438-2675.  Both organizations have a counselor that makes appointment times available on campus.  Their offices are located in the Ghering Health & Wellness Center.


Return to Student Health Services Main Page