Join us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube

History of Ghering

  • Homect_img
  • History of Ghering
 

Constructed in 1968, the Ghering Health and Wellness Center was named in honor of Drs. Harold A and Boyd W. Ghering, two brothers who provided excellent medical care to the campus community for 27 years. 

The two brothers, both Edinboro graduates themselves, cared for the medical needs of the Edinboro family from 1932 to 1959, treating ailments from headaches and the common cold to garden variety illness of the day that sometimes mandated quarantine.

Harold A. Ghering was the college physician from 1932 until he retired in 1953.  Boyd W. Ghering filled the position and remained until 1959.  The brothers also ran a private hospital on Meadville Street from 1925 to 1937.                                                                                                                        

Built in 1968 for $365,196, the Ghering Health and Wellness Center served as the campus health care facility.  Interior renovations were complete in 2001 to create a "one-stop shop" for student health and wellness services, including counseling and psychological services.  

The Health Center was relocated to its present location on the first floor of McNerney Hall in March 2011.  This beautiful, state of the art facility houses both the Student Health Center and the Counseling and Psychological Services offices.

                                                                                                        McN-corner

Return to Student Health Services Main Page