A focus in Gerontology (aging studies) is being offered at Edinboro University. Students who are interested in a program of study in Gerontology or in understanding the processes of aging will find a broad spectrum of course work at Edinboro and field experience available with many agencies in northwestern Pennsylvania who work with adult and older adult populations.
This program is designed to offer a student the opportunity to graduate with a major in any of several departments and a focus in gerontology.
The development of this focus has received strong support not only from the administration and the disciplines involved, but also from individuals and organizations that are potential employers of persons with this type of training. There is presently a national shortage of individuals equipped to work with geriatric and gerontology programs and surprisingly, few colleges and universities are attempting to meet this need.
Plan of Study
- Courses included in the core - 18 Sem. Hrs
- PSYC 319 Psychology of Aging - 3 Sem. Hrs.
- BIOL 201 Biology of Aging - 3 Sem. Hrs.
- One of the following:
- PHIL 265 Death and Dying - 3 Sem. Hrs.
- NUHL 500 End-of-Life Care - 3 Sem. Hrs.
- One of the following:
- SOC 370 Social Gerontology - 3 Sem. Hrs.
- ANTH 501 Anthropology of Aging - 3 Sem. Hrs.
- SOC 390 Sociology of the Lifecycles - 3 Sem. Hrs.
- Field Experience in Aging (in student's major department) - 6 Sem. Hrs.
- Elective courses (to be taken in at least three departments) - 12 Sem. Hrs.
- ANTH 364 Culture, Illness and Curing (3)
- ANTH 501 Anthropology of Aging (3)***
- BIOL 646 Biological Aspects of Aging (3)
- ENGL 120 Medical Terminology (3)
- Field Experience over 6 hours - specify
- FIN 360 Personal Financial Planning (3)*
- FIN 371 Seminar in Retirement Planning (1)*
- FIN 372 Seminar in Risk Management Planning (1)*
- FIN 373 Seminar in Estate Planning (1)*
- GEOG 350 Population Geography (3)
- HPE 265 Health Emergencies (3)
- HPE 355 Community Health Education (3)
- HPE 360 Adapted Physical Education (3)
- NUHL 100 Contemporary Women's Health (3)
- NUHL 500 End-of-Life Care (3)***
- NUTR 200 Nutrition (3)
- NUTR 400 Community Nutrition (4)
- PHIL 265 Death and Dying (3)***
- PHIL 342 Images of Humanity (3)
- PHIL 361 Ethics and Health (3)
- POLI 306 Public Administration I (3)
- POLI 307 Public Administration II (3)
- POLI 508/ECON 508 Government Budgeting and Financing (3)
- POLI 510 Health Care Politics and Policy (3)
- PSYC 301 Psychology of Adjustment (3)
- PSYC 305 Human Sexuality (3)
- PSYC 365 Abnormal Psychology (3)
- PSYC 370 Psychology of Personality (3)
- PSYC 375 Introduction to Psychological Assessment (3)
- PSYC 390 Social Psychology (3)
- SHLD 220 Survey of Communication Disorders in Adults (3)
- SOC 310 Population and Ecology (3)
- SOC 370 Social Gerontology (3)***
- SOC 390 Sociology of the Lifecycles (3)***
- SOWK 390 Aging and Human Services (3)
*FIN courses have numerous prerequisites and most likely would be chosen by Business majors seeking a Gerontology Focus.
***If course is not used to fill the Core requirement.
For more information on the Gerontology Focus, contact Dr. Jagielo, Director of the Gerontology Program, at 732-2531 or E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.