Resident Assistant Selection INFORMATION
Resident Assistant POSITION OVERVIEW
A Resident Assistant (R.A.) is a student member of the campus community who is committed to maximizing the residential experience for resident students. The R.A. serves as a role model who is approachable and accessible to students in the residence halls and throughout the campus community. The individual provides proactive leadership for resident students to develop and maintain an environment where they live the Edinboro Experience, are respected by fellow residents and university personnel, and are safe, comfortable and secure in their housing. Resident Assistants must have a thorough knowledge of the campus and its services in order to serve as a resource and referral agent for students. Training is provided for RAs prior to employment, prior to each semester and throughout the period of employment.
Hours per week: 14
Hourly Rate: $7.25
The R.A. functions on a work team designed to provide services to resident students. The Residence Hall Coordinator and Assistant Residence Hall Coordinator supervise the work group. The R.A. is expected to maintain open communication with supervisors regarding hall operations, maintenance, and student satisfaction - all directed toward enhancing the residential experience.
Together with other Resident Assistants, the R.A. shares in the administrative aspects of managing a residence hall. The R.A. is responsible for assisting with check-in, check-out, guest registration, participating in an on-duty schedule, and providing office coverage.
Requirements for Consideration
- Have completed a minimum of 24 credit hours upon hire. Applicants must have completed at least two semesters at Edinboro University to be considered for employment.
- Maintain full-time student status (minimum 12 credit hours).
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50 at the time of application and maintained during her/her term of service as a Resident Assistant.
- Complied with all Financial Aid requests, including completing the FAFSA from by the date of March 15.
- Be in good standing with the Office of Judicial Affairs (i.e. no disciplinary sanctions).
- Transfer students will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Expectations and Conditions
- R.A.s are required to maintain campus residency.
- R.A.s are required to return to campus prior to the start of each semester and remain on campus past the end of each semester as determined by the Residence life & Housing Office.
- R.A.s must participate in all training conducted prior to, and during, each semester.
- R.A.s must plan, actively promote, and participate in social, educational, and developmental activities for their wing, floor, and residence hall populations.
- R.A.s must manage their time to ensure adequate supervision in the halls.
- R.A.s must assist in the enforcement of the Student Conduct Code, Edinboro University policies and procedures, and state and federal laws.
- Read and acquire a working knowledge of the content in the Resident Assistant Handbook. Regular reviews of this booklet are strongly recommended.
- Reappointment is not guaranteed, but is based upon an exemplary [performance record and the successful completion of all interviews and applications required for returning staff. The R.A.s performance is under continuous evaluation so as to maintain the highest possible standards. Failure to meet any of the qualifications, requirements, or responsibilities specific to the R.A. position may result in personnel sanctions which could include, but are not limited to, verbal or written warnings, probation, or possible termination.
At EUP, we seek to provide the best living/learning opportunity for our residents, including our R.A.s. Some of the benefits RAs receive for their commitment include:
- Room Waiver While Serving as an R.A.
- Meals During R.A. Training
- Building Long-Lasting Friendships
- Impacting Students’ Lives
- Leadership Skills
- Opportunities to Get to Know Your Peers and Staff Better
RA Information Sessions
Tuesday February 12 OR Wednesday February 13, 2013
Compton 107, 6pm-7:30pm
Students only have to attend one of these Information Sessions. At the Information Session you will learn more about the RA position and selection process. Resident Life staff will also be available to answer your questions. You may submit your application before attending an Information Session; however, we strongly suggest you wait and submit the application after attending an Information Session.
New Applicant Process
1. Complete the online RA Application.
Due Friday, March 1, 2013, by 4:00pm
- Apply online
- “Apply Online for positions in Residence Life & Housing!” (to the left)
- “Student Leadership Positions Application” (to the right)
- RA Applications Due
- Friday March 1, 2013 @ 4:00pm
- Residence Life and Housing Office – Lawrence Towers
- Your RA application will be due to the RL&H Office by 4:00pm Friday, March 1. The completed application must include the three signed references and the signed request to release information form.
- ALL OF THE FOLLOWING MUST BE SUBMITTED TO BE CONSIDERED
AS AN APPLICANT FOR A RESIDENT ASSISTANT POSITION
BY March 1, 2013:
Once we receive your online application, we will send you three Reference forms and a Request to Release Information form (this is to give us permission to check grades and judicial records).
2. Attend a Group Interview with Area Coordinators.
Beginning begin the week of March 5-March 15, 2013
Highlands 6 Gathering Room
- If eligible and you complete the RA Application Process, you will receive an email to be invited to an interview with the Area Coordinators within the next two weeks. If not eligible we will contact you via your campus email.
- To take place in. Expect the interview to be approximately 45 minutes long.
3. Attend the Group Process Session with Area Coordinators & RL&H Staff.
March 30, 2103
Compton 107A 1:00pm-3:00pm
- You will be emailed the official invitation.
- The group process will be two hours in length. You will be asked to demonstrate teamwork and problem solving skills, while being assessed during the activity by the two Area Coordinators.
- This is a casual setting session. Please dress comfortably.
4. Notification of Status
April 15 from RL&H Office
- You will be notified of the status of your interview and group process clarifying if you are hired as an R.A., hired as an Alternate RA or not hired.
5. Meet & Greet (for students hired as RAs)
Date: You will receive information via email