The Council will work collaboratively across disciplines and constituency groups to advance diversity as an institutional and educational imperative. In this regard, the Council is charged with the following major responsibilities.
- Participate in the implementation of selected aspects of the University’s Strategic Diversity Plan, in collaboration with the Director of Social Equity / University Ombudsperson.
- Recommend initiatives that have a campus-wide impact on the educational value of diversity.
- Prepare an annual report to the President containing outcomes of the Council’s deliberations and its work and offering recommendations for the President’s consideration.
More specifically, the Council's responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- Identify and recommend procedures to correct identified inequities based on protected class that may exist in employment, academic, student life, or business situations;
- Periodically review the status of underrepresented individuals, including assessment and monitoring of the campus climate for these populations, and to make recommendations to achieve inclusiveness;
- Provide recommendations for special efforts and strategies to recruit and retain a diverse work force and student population;
- Assist in the development and implementation of programs to address the needs, interests, and concerns of underrepresented groups that may exist in employment, academic, student life, or business situations;
- Assist in the review and/or development of academic programs and curriculum that embody diversity and multiculturalism;
- Assist in the preparation of an annual status report so that disparate trends can be identified and addressed for future action.