Criminal Background Clearances
All graduate students must have on file in the Leader Center the following three clearances:
- PA Child Abuse Clearance
- PA Criminal Records Check
- FBI Criminal History Background Check
You will not be permitted to see any clients until these important documents are on file.
You will also need to update or renew these three clearances when you apply for Pennsylvania Department of Education certification.
- You may obtain forms for PA Child Abuse Clearances from the Department of Public Welfare. The cost is $10.00 payable to the Department of Public Welfare by certified (not person) check or money order. Visit http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/findaform/childabusehistoryclearanceforms/ for the PA Child Abuse Clearance form.
- For the PA Criminal History Record, log onto https://epatch.state.pa.us and select "Submit a New Record Check" under credit card users and have your credit card ready. You will be charged $10.00. Once you have requested a new record check, your "no record" or "record" certificate form must be validated by accessing the PATCH Record Check Status screen at https://epatch.state.pa.us/RCStatusSearch.jsp and submitting a search request with the control number you were given. Print the resulting certificate. Applicants may also use Form SP-164, Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Record Check found at http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/view.asp?A=4&Q=48275. Send the REQUEST FOR CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK with payment to the following address: Pennsylvania State Police Central Repository-164, 1800 Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg, PA 17110-9758
- The Federal (FBI) Criminal History Report is a multiple-step fingerprint-based background check process. PDE FBI Background checks are $36.00. The fee for applicants to obtain a copy of their Criminal History Report is an additional $2.50, for a total of $38.50. You must register prior to going to the fingerprint site. Walk in service without prior registration will not be provided at any fingerprinting location. Registration is completed online or over the phone. Registration is available online 24 hours/day, seven days per week at www.pa.cogentid.com. Telephonic registration is available at 1-888-439-2486 Monday through Friday, 8am to 6pm EST. During the registration process, all demographic data for the applicant is collected (name, address, SSN, etc.) there is no data entry required at the fingerprint collection site. Applicants may make their payment online at www.pa.cogentid.com using a credit card or debit card. Money orders or cashiers checks payable to Cogent Systems will be accepted on site for those applicants who do not have the means to pay electronically. No cash transactions or personal checks are allowed. The applicant proceeds to the fingerprint site of their choice for fingerprinting. The location of the fingerprint sites and days and hours of operation for each site will be posted on Cogent Systems' website at www.pa.cogentid.com. The location of fingerprint sites may change over time so applicants are encouraged to confirm location sites. In Edinboro, the fingerprint site is at the local IU building at 252 Waterford Street (next to the post office) from 8:30am to 4:00 pm during the school year.
As a health care major, if you have ever been cited with underage drinking (UAD) or driving under the influence (DUI), you need to understand how these citations may affect your career. You can view a question and answer informational brochure developed by the Center for Student Life by our PASSHE sister school Indiana University of Pennsylvania. See the brochure here: Alcohol Citations and Your Career