Financial Aid Nav
Join us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube


FAQs banner

Financial Aid Award Questions
small tartan bar

Loans and Grants Questions
small tartan bar

Miscellaneous Questions
small tartan bar 

Financial Aid Award Answers
small tartan bar

Do I need to return the Award letter?
You only need to return the award letter if you want to reduce or decline some or all of your aid.  View our Finalizing Aid page for more information.

How do I view my financial aid requirements?
Log into My Edinboro:

  • Click on SCOTS
  • Select Student Services and Financial Aid
  • Then Financial Aid
  • Then My Eligibility
  • Then Holds
  • Then Student Requirements (this link will be near the bottom of the page)
  • Select the current aid year, i.e. 2008-2009 Award Year
  • Submit

The unsatisfied requirements will display as outstanding requirements. These requirements may delay your financial aid. The satisfied requirements will display as completed requirements. Be sure to check the requirements periodically to make sure the Financial Aid Office has all the necessary information to process your aid for the year.

How do I complete the Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note (MPN)?
To complete the Entrance Counseling and Mater Promissory Note (MPN), go to and sign in using your FAFSA pin and social security number.  The Direct Loan Entrance Counseling and MPN are good for 10 years after you sign them.  For more loan information, see our Stafford Loan page. 

How do I reduce or decline an award amount?
There are several ways you can reduce or decline your award amount.  One way is by changing the amounts on the Award letter and returning it to our office.  Another way is by emailing us from your secure student email account or faxing us the amounts you would like to reduce or decline and be sure to tell us exactly which loans or grants.  And the third way is by coming into our office and putting your request in writing.

Loans and Grants Answers
small tartan bar

 When do I apply for financial aid?
Students can file the FAFSA, Renewal FAFSA , or FAFSA on the Web after January 1 for each new award year.

Edinboro University's preferred deadline is March 15th. Students who meet the preferred filing deadline will receive full consideration of University Scholarships, Federal SEOG, Federal Perkins, Federal Work Study and discretionary scholarships and grants. However, students can file for financial aid at any time during the award year allowing at least a month for processing for the award period. PHEAA's deadline is May 1st.  

 What types of financial aid are covered by this application?
All federal, state, and University assistance are processed using the one application.

What forms are required for financial aid at Edinboro University?
The student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each academic year to be eligible for Federal Pell Grant, Federal Stafford Loan, Federal Perkins Loan, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), and Work-Study as well as the PHEAA Grant aid programs. Prior year FAFSA filers will receive a "Renewal" version of the FAFSA from the federal processor. New students will complete the original version or have the option to file their FAFSA electronically through FAFSA on the Web. For more forms, see our Forms page.
Other Documents may be required for those students selected for verification or to validate circumstances.  See our Forms page for more information. 

Am I required to file a separate form to obtain a Federal Stafford Loan?
No. Eligibility for the Federal Stafford Loan is determined using the FAFSA form. However, first time borrowers are required to complete a promissory note and Entrance Counseling.

Should I apply for a loan for one semester or the entire year (private or PLUS loans)?
 The University splits loans over the course of the year; half for Fall and half Spring.  So if a student receives a Fall bill and still owes $1000, they should apply for $2000 to cover the entire year.  There would then be two disbursements of the loan, one $1000 disbursement in the Fall and one $1000 disbursement in the Spring.

What is the difference between subsidized and unsubsidiezed Stafford Loans?
See our Stafford Loan page for this loan information.

 Are there any other types of aid available?
The Office for Student Financial Support and Services at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania offers a wide variety of institutional scholarships. Computer programming identifies eligible students and a selection committee determines recipients. There are also numerous external scholarships that are available. Students are notified via e-mail if they meet the minimum requirements and are encouraged to apply.  

How do I apply for a Federal Pell Grant?
When you complete the FAFSA, you are automatically considered for a Federal Pell Grant.  

Miscellaneous Answers
small tartan bar 

What is Edinboro University's school code?
The school code is 003321.   

If my parents are divorced or separated, are both of them responsible for contributing to my education?
The custodial parent and current spouse, if any, must complete the FAFSA form. The non-custodial parent is not required to report information for federal student aid purposes.  

What is the difference between the Bursar's Office and the Financial Aid Office?
The Financial Aid Office determines financial aid eligibility and awards grants, scholarships, loans, and work study while the Bursar's Office processes bills and collects payments, receives loan proceeds and issues refund checks.  

When are refunds given?
Refunds are generally available 3 weeks after the beginning of the semester, you can check your eBill account via MyEdinboro to check your refund availability. See the Bursar's Office for more information.

How does the payment plan work?
The payment plan is your balance due divided into four monthly payments.  There is a $40 fee for the payment plan that you add to your first payment.  See the Bursar's Office for more information.

Can I charge books to my account?
If you have at least $1500 in financial aid, even if you owe a balance to the University, you can charge up to $650 in books to your student account.  Please note, if you owe money to your student account already because your financial aid does not cover the entire balance, this charge will increase your balance due by how much you charge.  If you charge less than $650, you do not get refunded any amount for the unused portion.  This process simply allows students to either have their aid covered by their financial aid or be able to pay for books on a monthly payment plan instead of all up front at the bookstore. 


Important Information


FAFSA Workshops 

Contact Information

 School Code


 Hours of Operation


 Mon-Fri 9:00-4:30


 Mon-Fri 9:00-4:00


 Hamilton Hall
 210 Glasgow Road
 Edinboro, PA 16444