Student Center Extraordinary/Overtime Events
- 1. The Student Center is intended for use by all campus groups for a wide variety of activities. An event that more than one hundred (100) people are expected to attend is considered to be an extraordinary event. Extraordinary events draw large numbers of people and can stress the facility to its maximum capacity.
- 2. The Multipurpose Room and Theatre are the locations designed for extraordinary events. To preserve the facilities and ensure the safety of participants, the following procedures apply to all extraordinary events scheduled by the Campus Life Office:
a. No more than two extraordinary events of similar nature (i.e. dances, lectures, concerts) can be scheduled in and around the Student Center on a single day, unless approved by the Assistant Director of Student Center Operations.
b. Events which are likely, based on historical precedent and experience, to attract crowds near to, or in excess of, the established room/space capacities may require Police/Security officers to be hired at the sponsor's expense to provide security and crowd control. Such situations will typically require two officers to be paid at rates established by the Police. Campus Police can be contacted at 814-732-2921.
c. A representative of the sponsoring group who will be taking overall responsibility for the event must meet with the Assistant Director of Student Center Operations to determine special needs for the event. This meeting should take place at least two weeks before the event.
d. Decorations must be approved in advance to ensure fire/life safety codes are adhered to and the facilities are protected. Items MAY NOT be taped or adhered to walls, windows or other building surfaces, unless special tape is used and approved by the Assistant Director of the Student Center. Use of open flames (candles, etc.) is prohibited unless written permission is received by the Assistant Director of the Student Center. Should an organization fail to follow the prescribed policy, they will be issued a written warning and will pay for all associated damages and/or clean-up. The organization will be placed on a six-month probationary period. Should an organization again violate this policy within that six months, they will again pay for all associated damages/clean-up and they will lose reservation privileges for six months. Glitter of any kind is strictly prohibited in the Student Center. Any catered drinks red in color are also prohibited in the Student Center.
e. Failure to adhere to these procedures may subject the sponsoring organization to restriction of space usage privileges for the remainder of the academic year or until otherwise advised. Any exceptions to these procedures must be in writing from the Assistant Director of Student Center Operations.
- 3. The primary function of the Food Court is a public dining area and several service departments share operating space in this area, so every effort is made to keep the area accessible to food court and retail services customers during regular building hours. Therefore, the Food Court is considered a "last-resort" location for special events that require accommodations which inhibit the retail services of this space.
Reserving space outside of normal Student Center operating hours is permissible so long as the request is in writing and made at least 14 days in advance of the anticipated event. Extended hours charges will apply (current hourly rate per student staff per number of hours required). Staffing will be assigned with a one-hour (1) minimum requirement. The Assistant Director of Student Center Operations will determine appropriate staffing levels. The Assistant Director reserves the right to deny extended hours requests based on the number of requests for any given day/time and/or available staff to cover the extended hours. An additional charge may be incurred if the event requires housekeeping services.
Event Services Information:
- General Reservation Guidelines
- Scheduling Priorities
- Extraordinary/Overtime Events
- Food Service
- Tips to Having a Successful Event
- Room Information and Data
- Audio/Visual Equipment
- Information and Sales Tables
- Posters, Table Tents, and Literature
- Photo Gallery
- Room Availability
- Reservation Request Form (Please note that by submitting a form online, you are indicating that you have read, and agreed to, the guidelines for using space in the PSC)
- Event Feedback Form
- Student Center Home