Join us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube

Veterans Education Benefits


This guide is designed to provide information to student veterans that will assist them in applying to Edinboro University, applying for military & veterans education benefits or traditional student aid, and starting benefits at Edinboro. Feel free to read through step-by-step or jump to the subject that interests you!

New Students / First time Applicants

Applying to the University - Undergraduate Programs

  • Gather materials required for application (click here for required materials)
  • Complete the online application
  • When asked if you have visited campus or know an alum, choose yes and write "Veterans Success Center" to have the application fee waived.
  • Check your email for further information, usually within two weeks
  • Submit military transcripts to Allison Flynn.

The following links will take you to the request or information site for the various branches: Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy use that same system to request and send your Official Military Transcripts directly to Edinboro University by going to the Joint Service Transcript (JST) Service, or for Air Force visit Community College of Air Force Transcripts.

Applying to the University - Graduate Programs

  • Gather materials required for application, including undergraduate schools contact information and resume.
  • Complete the online application
  • There are no application fee waivers for graduate school
  • Edinboro University's graduate programs have limited enrollment and are extremely competitive; meeting admission requirements does not guarantee acceptance. 
  • Late applications may be considered if space is available in the program.

Applying for Benefits

Click here to use the GI Bill® Comparison Tool

Department of Veterans Affairs

  • Information and printable forms regarding Veterans Education Benefits and the Montgomery GI Bill are available at the Department of Veterans Affairs Website. Review the programs available to determine the most beneficial to your individual situation.
  • If you need any help making your choice, VA Vocational and Employment counseling help is available to all veterans toll free at 1.800.827.1000
  • After determining the best benefit, apply online using Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) or using VA form 22-1990 – save/print a copy of the form
  • Keep in mind that processing time at the Department of Veterans Affairs can run as long as 6-12 weeks. It is strongly recommended that you apply online using VONAPP and elect to receive payment via direct deposit to your financial institution, in order to accelerate processing time.

Concurrent Admissions Program (ConAP)

ConAP is a program for students who are planning to enlist directly into military service after high school or community college. Sponsored by the U.S. Army Recruiting Command, the program allows individuals to seek admission to a university at the same time they enlist in the Army or Army Reserve.

The student must meet admission and degree requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of enrollment in classes at Edinboro University.

National Guard / Reservists using FTA / EAP

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)

  • Review GoArmyEd for basic information and instructions on how to apply
  • All FTA applications are processed at the unit level. Contact your chain of command to determine who is the correct POC – this is typically the Readiness/Retention NCO.

Educational Assistance Program (EAP)

  • Similar to FTA but administered at the State level for PA National Guard members
  • All EAP applications are processed at the unit level. Contact your chain of command for further information – also, refer to the EAP Policy page on the PA Department of Military and Veterans Affairs website.

Higher Education Relief Opportunities for Students Act (HEROES)

  • The HEROES Act effective dates are Dec. 12, 2003 through September 30, 2017

    The HEROES Act (Public Law 108-76) was passed in 2003 to ensure that a service member’s military statues does not cause hardships in applying for and receiving federal student aid. The act allows the Department of Education to waive or modify certain regulations pertaining to financial aid during times of war, military operation, or national emergency. The HEROES act may affect service members and their spouses and dependents in many different ways, including the way that Financial Aid Services determines financial need, the process of verification, and the process of monitoring Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). It can also affect the grace period and the deferment period a service member has for loan repayment when called to active duty.

Troops to Teachers Program

  • All current and former members of the U.S. Armed Forces whose last period of service is characterized as honorable may participate in the program for counseling and referral services. Please see section D below for information on TTT financial assistance eligibility.
  • Troops to Teachers (TTT) was established in 1994 by the Department of Defense. It is a Department of Defense funded program managed by the Department of the Navy through the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES), Pensacola, Florida. The No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 provides for the continuation of the TTT Program as a recruitment tool for high needs schools.
  • The purpose of Troops to Teachers (TTT) is to assist eligible military personnel to transition to a new career as public school teachers. To achieve this goal, Troops to Teachers provides counseling relative to teaching licensure and employment, referral assistance and, for those that meet the TTT registration and financial application requirements, financial assistance.

Traditional Student Aid

  • Gather previous year's income tax returns and other required information
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) – must be done every year (Edinboro University of PA School Code is 003321)
  • After completion, the University will receive your information automatically. The Financial Aid Office will then build an aid package based on the information provided.
  • Contact Alyssa Dobson, Associate Director of Financial Aid, with any questions: 814.732.3500


There are many scholarships for Military and Veteran students - you are encouraged to review the following sites to locate and apply for any that you are qualified for!

All Students - General information

Every student receiving or applying for GI Bill benefits at the University must complete and submit the Veteran Educational Benefits Request Form (yellow) to the Veterans Success Center in Crawford Center, Room 208A.

If you are currently receiving benefits and are continuing in the same major, the benefit request form is all you need to submit. 

PLEASE NOTE: This form must be completed every semester that you wish to receive veteran education benefits at the University. Your attendance will not be certified until all necessary materials are received.

If you have changed your major, you will need to complete VA Form 22-1995, "Request for Change of Program or Place of Training" along with your benefit request form (if receiving Chapter 35, use VA Form 22-5495 instead).  You may complete this online here or obtain a paper form in the Veterans Success Center. Whichever route you take, you must submit a copy to the Veterans Success Center.

The University offers free peer tutoring in most subject areas and for specific courses.  If you find yourself struggling in any course, consult your instructor or advisor for information about tutoring sessions.

Tutoring is also possible through your veterans education benefits.  If you are unable to obtain the help you need through the University's peer tutoring program, it is possible to request the VA pay for tutoring.

Did make changes to your enrollment? If you add a course, drop a course, withdraw, get an incomplete, think you might or have failed a course, or if any other issue comes up, you must notify the Veterans Success Center immediately. Some matters might require you to complete a new benefit request form.

For payment rates & questions, scheduling information, and tips on how to accelerate graduation, please view our Frequently Asked Questions.

Required Documents & Forms

The University, in compliance with VA and DoD guidelines and regulations, is required to maintain certain records for all students receiving Veterans Education Benefits. The forms requried vary depending on the benefit being used and include:

  • VA Form 22-1990 (All Students/Chapters except Chapter 35)
  • DD-214 (All Students/Chapters)
  • Notice of Basic Eligibility "NOBE" DD-2384-1 (NG/Reserve, Chapter 1606)
  • "Kicker" contract (If Applicable)
  • Updated DD-214 for each additional period of AD service (not including training) if using REAP (Chapter 1607) or Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
  • VA Form 22-5490 - "Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance" (Chapter 35)
  • Certificate of Eligibility "COE" (Chapter 33 or Chapter 35)
  • VA Form 22-1995 (If transferring or returning after break in enrollment - all but Chapter 35)
  • VA From 22-5495 (If transferring or returning after break in enrollment - Chapter 35)
  • Veterans Education Benefits Request Form (All Students/Chapters - Edinboro University Form)