Join us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube

Veterans FAQ

The Veterans Success Center is currently compiling a list of Frequently Asked Questions. Please email with any you would like to have answered!

How much will I be paid using the GI Bill for my education?

Review the most up-to-date rate tables for the current GI Bill programs here.

Which GI Bill program is the best?

With so many programs and no two veterans being alike, there is no single answer to this question. It is best to review the programs on the GI Bill website; if you need any help making your choice, VA Vocational and Employment counseling help is available to all veterans toll free at 1.800.827.1000

Can I transfer my veteran educational benefits for my spouse or dependents?

Veterans are able to transfer benefits, referred to as a "Transfer of Entitlement," to dependents in certain situations. Review the program online or call 1.800.827.1000 to speak to a representative from the VA.

I used the GI Bill for a previous semester. Do I have to do anything to use the GI Bill for next semester?

GI Bill benefits are not automatic.

Every time you register, add a class, drop a class, withdraw, get an incomplete, fail, or repeat a course, you must notify the Veterans Success Center.

Every student receiving or applying for GI Bill benefits at the University must complete and submit the Veterans Education Benefits Request Form (yellow) to the Veterans Success Center in Crawford Center, Room 208A.

This form must be completed every semester that you wish to receive veterans education benefits at the University. Your attendance will not be certified until all necessary materials are received. 

I get 100% of the new GI Bill / am on Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation or Voc Rehab), do I still need to complete a FAFSA?

All students, regardless of the benefit they are receiving, should complete the FAFSA. Most students will be eligible for grants, scholarships, or loans in addition to the GI Bill, and must complete the FAFSA in order to apply for these benefits.

How do I stay up to date with the GI Bill?

VA programs frequently change. The best way to ensure you have the newest information is to regularly review the GI Bill website and stop in the Veterans Success Center. Don't let an important change or benefit pass you by!

Does the GI Bill affect traditional student aid? How so?

Federal regulations no longer require that most educational related benefits received by military personnel, veterans, and/or their dependents be reported on the FAFSA.  Educational Assistance Program (EAP) funds received by National Guardsmen and Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) received by Guardsmen or Reservists are the exceptions. They both count as a resource and may reduce need-based aid. EAP funds are not counted as gift aid in the PHEAA formula, while FTA funds are. 

For the most current information or specific questions, contact the Financial Aid Office at 814.732.3500. 

How will I get paid?

For Chapters 30, 1606, and 1607 (Montgomery GI BILLs), you are required to verify your attendance using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) beginning the last calendar day of the month in order to initiate the payment. Payments are made directly to the student at the beginning of each month for the month prior (for example, you would log into WAVE beginning February 28th to certify for February, and be paid soon after in March).  If you have submitted the Edinboro University Veterans Education Benefit Request Form & submitted your verification to WAVE but have not received payment, you can either log back into WAVE to receive a status update or call the GI Bill hotline at 1.888.442.4551.

Chapter 33 (Post-9/11) and Chapter 35 (DEA) do not require monthly verification and are paid on or soon after the 1st of each month; if you have been approved for the GI Bill, submitted the Edinboro University Veterans Education Benefit Request Form, and been certified by the Veterans Success Center, but do not receive your payment, you must call the GI Bill hotline at 1.888.442.4551.

Can I receive college credit at Edinboro for my service in the military?

There are three potential ways to receive credits for your service:

1) The first route is the easiest. All students with a certified copy of their DD-214, an honorable discharge, and completion of Basic Training are eligible for 3 credits in Health & Physical Education. To apply, simply submit the DD-214 to the Veterans Success Center with a note stating you would like to apply for HPE credit.

2) Next, you can submit military transcripts to Edna Torres, Coordinator of Transfer Evaluations, Academy Hall 207. If you served in the Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Navy you should send your Official Military Transcripts directly to Edinboro University by going to the Joint Service Transcript (JST) Service, or for Air Force visit Community College of Air Force Transcripts.

3) Finally, if you feel that your military (or other) experience provided you with life experiences that are applicable to your degree, you can submit a Portfolio documenting these experiences, which the University will review and determine what, if any credit, to award. For more in depth information, review the Life Experience page of the Office of Adult Student Services site.

I am an ROTC Cadet, can I still use the MGIB-SR?

If you receive an ROTC scholarship under section 2107a of title 10, U.S. Code , you can still be eligible for the MGIB-SR. Individuals receiving this type of ROTC scholarship agree to serve as officers in either the Army Reserve or the Army National Guard.