Recent Updates
Frequently Asked Questions
PASSHE Negotiations

Jeffrey Hileman
Director for University Communications

Join us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube

PASSHE Contract Negotiations Updates – FAQs


FAQ: Answers to frequently asked questions about the strike-authorization vote

Answers to students’ questions about the faculty strike-authorization vote have been assembled by PASSHE and Edinboro University officials to help students understand that the vote does not necessarily mean that a strike is imminent and to inform them about what to expect if a strike were to occur.

1. Does the faculty strike-authorization vote mean there definitely will be a strike?

The strike-authorization vote taken by the faculty union does not automatically mean there will be a strike. The faculty union took similar votes during each of the last three rounds of negotiations; none resulted in a strike. A majority vote in favor of authorization just gives the APSCUF state-wide leadership the ability to call a strike at a future date. Such a vote does not necessarily mean that a strike is imminent.

2. How will people know if a strike is called?

If a strike by the faculty union appears imminent, the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education and Edinboro University will be in regular communication with students and university employees.

3. Will Edinboro University and the other Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education institutions close if a strike is called?

Edinboro and the other universities in the system are committed to the education of their students and will remain open if a faculty strike is called. Each university has a contingency plan it would implement in the event of a strike. The goal of every contingency plan is to keep the campuses open, to ensure students and employees are safe, and to keep students on schedule toward the completion of their degrees. Classes would continue to the extent possible, with priority given to those essential to completing the degree requirements of our December and May graduates. Resources for instructing those classes will include faculty members who decline to join the strike and members of the administration, who possess extensive expertise in a wide range of academic disciplines.

4. What should students do if a faculty strike is called?

If the faculty union calls a strike, students will be expected to report to all of their classes. Individual faculty members may choose to continue teaching. If a strike occurs, questions about classes should be directed to the Office of the Provost.

The Provost’s office can be contacted at Students would also be informed regarding class information through emails and a web page provided through the Provost’s Office.

5. Should students with on-campus work-study jobs continue to report for work?

Yes. Students with on-campus work-study jobs would need to continue to report to work, as the university would remain open if a strike were called. If a student works for a faculty member who has not reported for work, the student should report to the Dean’s Office for the school in which he or she works.

6. Will university facilities such as Baron-Forness Library, computer labs, dining services, residence halls, registrar’s office, Campus Police Department, Ghering Health and Wellness Center, and other administrative offices be open in the event of a strike?

Yes. To the extent practical, the university would remain open, so all of these facilities and offices would remain open. All employees represented by other unions are required to work in the event of a strike by faculty and/or coaches. Information about extended hours for services and facilities especially important to students, as well as other special events (films, lectures, etc.) for the university community, would be posted on the university website,, as information was received.

7. Will an internship or a practicum be affected by a strike?

Because individual faculty may choose to continue teaching during a strike called by the union, this would be determined on a case-by-case basis.

8. Will counseling services be available in the event of a strike?

Many counseling professionals are faculty and may be unavailable if a strike occurs. Those support professionals who are not faculty will continue to provide services, and every effort would be made to refer students to other counseling services in the area. Erie County's Crisis Services agency is available for crisis counseling 24 hours per day, seven days a week at (814) 456-2014. Referral for nonemergency counseling services in the community is available by calling the Ghering Health and Wellness Center at (814) 732-2252 or (814) 732-2743. In addition, professionals within the Division of Student Affairs are available to assist students who are in need of personal assistance. A senior-level student affairs manager is also available to respond to student concerns after hours by contacting the University Police at (814) 732-2921.

9. Will extracurricular activities sponsored by the university go on as scheduled?

Yes, to every extent possible. In the case that a program or event is dependent upon a faculty member who would choose to go on strike, information about the cancellation would be posted on the university website.

10. How would the latest information regarding a strike be disseminated?

The Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education’s website at would be updated regularly with information regarding the status of negotiations. If a faculty strike occurs, information about operation of the Edinboro University campus would be posted on the university website, Those with questions also can contact the Office of University Communications at (814) 732-1333 at any time.