Contact Info

          Ghering Health and Wellness Center
          McNerney Hall, 1st Floor
          300 Scotland Road
          Edinboro, PA  16444

          Counseling and Psychological Services
          Phone: (814) 732-2252
          Fax: (814) 732-2666


          Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is committed to assisting students with their mental health concerns, including depression, anxiety, eating disorders, drugs and alcohol.

          A view of the fountain on Mallory Lake

          When you feel like the demands of life are closing in on you, our CAPS staff is here to help. We’re committed to helping you overcome, or at least cope with, your personal problems so you can achieve your educational goals.

          CAPS provides a range of services without charge on a short-term basis to currently enrolled students who have paid the Health Center fee. The services are intended to facilitate intellectual and personal growth by helping students resolve concerns that may interfere with their academic progress, social development and comfort at Edinboro University.

          Individual counseling

          One-on-one counseling provides therapy for those experiencing personal or interpersonal distress.

          Group Counseling

          Designed for students with common concerns to help one another by sharing information and experiences.

          Peer Education/Outreach Programs

          Each semester different psycho-educational programs may be offered to enhance student development. Previous topics have included: Effective Communication Skills, Breaking Up: How to Cope, Date Rape Awareness/Risk Reduction and Cultural Diversity.

          Provide Referrals

          Referrals are provided for outpatient and inpatient psychological services with other providers, agencies, and hospitals (such as Saint Vincent Health Center, Millcreek Community Hospital and Meadville Medical Center) and also for outpatient evaluations and specialized treatment (drug and alcohol treatment, rape crisis center, etc.). Referrals will be offered upon request or when deemed necessary and appropriate. On- or off-campus referrals can be coordinated by CAPS. However, students may contact other agencies or campus services directly at any time.

          What are some of the issues that CAPS can help me with?

          • Relationship difficulties  (friends, roommates, family and  romantic partners)
          • Stress
          • Anxiety
          • Nervousness
          • Lack of self-confidence or low self-esteem
          • Depression
          • Eating disorders
          • Sexual concerns
          • Impaired academic functioning
          • Uncertainties about personal values and beliefs


          Appointments are requested and can be made in person or by phone. At times CAPS may employ a waiting list for services. Same-day requests for assistance will be honored based on scheduling availability. Most often, appointments will be weekly and last about fifty minutes. However, some students find their needs met during the initial consultation and require no further services. Please arrive at the Ghering Health and Wellness Center about 10-15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time in order to complete the necessary forms to receive services. Our telephone number is (814) 732-2252.

          Crisis Intervention

          While most CAPS services are scheduled by appointment, some crisis situations require immediate or same-day intervention. Such a crisis might involve considering suicide or experiencing a physical or sexual assault, for example. Crisis intervention services are offered during regular office hours and after hours by community agencies.

          In order to arrange for a crisis intervention appointment, students should alert the CAPS receptionist to the crisis nature of their situation. Students will be seen as soon as possible by a psychologist.

          Crisis/Emergency – After-Hours Services

          In case of a crisis or emergency, call (814) 732-2911 on campus or 911 otherwise. Telephone Helpline services are available from outside agencies after hours:

          • Erie County (Crisis Services/Safe Harbor Behavioral Health)
            Phone: (814) 456-2014          
            Toll Free: (800) 300-9558
          • Crawford County (Crisis Hotline/Meadville Medical Center)
            Phone: (814) 724-2732
            Toll Free: (800) 315-5721

          In other areas, consult your local telephone directory.

          Confidentiality and Ethics

          All services provided by CAPS are strictly confidential. Information you share in counseling or generate through testing is not disclosed outside CAPS without your written permission. Only in rare instances do exceptions to confidentiality occur, such as when you pose an imminent threat of serious harm to yourself or others and in the case of suspected child abuse or neglect.

          Professional ethics statements by organizations such as the American Psychological Association guide the practices of CAPS.