First Year Student Housing Application
University Housing Policy
Students under the age of 18 years of age and have not achieved 59 credits are required to reside on campus for two (2) consecutive academic years, excluding winter and summer sessions, unless the student commutes from the home of a parent or legal guardian living within 50 miles of Edinboro University. Also see Policy No. A026.
- Living with siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents, or family friends, who live in commuting distance of EU, does not warrant an exemption from housing unless they are the students' legal guardian. Proof of guardianship must be provided to the university in these situations. Exemptions may be made for first time Edinboro University students who are:
- Commuting from the home of a parent or legal guardian (the home address will be determined by the permanent address indicated in University records)
- Married students must provide a copy of their marriage certificate certified by the court
- Have dependents living with the student (documentation must be provided of residential status for persons living within the same household)
- Military service veteran
If you are a first time EU student and believe that your circumstances qualify for an exemption, please complete the form here (attachment) and return it to the Residence Life & Housing office located on the 2nd floor of Pogue Student Center.
The following are valid circumstances in which a student can be released from their Housing and Food Service Agreement:
- Financial release--Evidence of a significant change in student financial status since the signature date of the Housing Agreement. The student must prove that all financial options have been exhausted including loans, private loans, and grants. Documentation must be provided of the impact of the financial change which has occurred. Financial hardship must not be present or known at the time of the Housing Agreement signature date.
- Medical release--Evidence of a medical need, that in the eyes of the university, student and medical professionals, can only be accommodated outside of University housing. Documentation must be provided, outlining the medical issue, how on-campus living has impacted that medical issue and how off-campus living will alleviate the medical issue.
- Guardianship--Student becomes the guardian of a minor of incompetent dependent. Pregnancy is not necessarily an immediate guardianship issue. Documentation of guardianship is required.
- Other--Extenuating circumstances that Residence Life & Housing office deems reasonable for completion of current year academic coursework. Also see Policy No. A058.
Fees & Due Dates
If approved, all students will be assessed a $250 cancellation fee, billed directly to their student account.
If not approved, a student has five (5) business days to submit an appeal to the Director of Residence Life & Housing. New documentation should be provided or areas of the specific grounds for denial should be addressed in the appeal.
Fall Semester Release Requests: Due on or by April 15 annually
Spring Semester Release Requests: Due on or by November 15 annually