Scholarships for Veterans


Did you know the GI Bill® may not cover all student costs? This is especially true of graduate students and those receiving CH 1606 and CH 35 benefits. For this reason, we highly recommended that you investigate and compete for additional financial aid through grants and scholarships.

Below are resources to assist you in finding the wide variety of grants and scholarships for student veterans through Edinboro University, the state of Pennsylvania (PA State Grant) and various external organizations.

First Complete the FAFSA

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application used to determine eligibility for federal grant and loan awards. This is done by determining the expected contribution of you or your family toward college costs. FAFSA determinations are used by both Edinboro University and PA State Grant as the basis for its financial aid awards. The amount of money provided by a grant or loan is dependent on your FAFSA results. It is important to understand that any potential PA State Grant grants from the state of Pennsylvania will only be available if the FAFSA is completed.

The FAFSA is completed online and should take about an hour to complete. Having the proper documentation available during the application process will make applying for FAFSA faster and easier.

There are five categories of information that are required on the FAFSA:

  1. Information about you, the student
  2. Information on the student’s dependency status
  3. Information about the student’s parents
  4. Information about the student’s and parent’s (if applicable) finances
  5. A list of schools that should receive the results

Have these documents on hand in order to complete the FAFSA application:

  1. Your income tax return (or your parents’ income tax return if a dependent)
  2. Current bank statements
  3. Current investment records
  4. Records of untaxed income
  5. Your driver’s license
  6. Your Social Security number

Find out more about completing the FAFSA.

PA State Grants for Veterans

The Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency provides grants to Pennsylvania residents who meet basic eligibility requirements. While the state grant program is available to all eligible Pennsylvania residents, PA State Grant also administers three veteran-specific programs:
The Children of POW/MIA Soldiers Program provides up to $1,200 a year for students who are the children of Pennsylvania residents who were soldiers designated as POW or MIA. Eligible students will have a parent who served on active duty after Jan. 31, 1955; the parent must have been a Pennsylvania resident prior to serving on active duty; the parent must have been designated as a POW/MIA; and the parent must have received an honorable discharge or not been found to have deserted or defected to the enemy. Students applying for this grant should first complete their FAFSA and then contact PA State Grant for an application.

Dependent Educational Gratuity

Children of service members who died while on active duty can receive a grant of up to $1,000 a year under the Dependent Education Gratuity.

PA State Grant also administers the Pennsylvania National Guard Education Assistance Program (EAP). National Guard members may contact their unit training NCO for more information or to apply for EAP.

Military Family Education Program

House Bill 1324, known as the Pennsylvania GI Bill, authorized the Military Family Education Program (MFEP) which allows spouses and children of Pennsylvania National Guard members to attend college at no or reduced cost.


University Scholarships

Edinboro University offers numerous scholarships based on need, program of study, academic achievement and student status. Additional information is available by contacting the Financial Aid Office or your academic advisor. View the list of EU scholarships here.

External Scholarships for Veterans




Student Veterans of America Scholarships

$2,000 to $12,000

Student Veterans of America offers seven sponsored scholarships from seven different companies. Each scholarship has multiple awards and is awarded to students in specific fields such as math, science, or art.

Council of College and Military Educators Scholarship


Awarded to active duty service members, veterans, and their spouses. Applications are accepted July 1 – Oct. 1.

AMVETS Scholarship


Awarded to veterans and active duty service members with a demonstrated financial need. Applications are accepted starting in January.

SportClips Help a Hero Scholarship


Awarded to veterans and active duty service members at or below the rank of E-5 with a demonstrated financial need. Applications are accepted for fall and spring semesters.

Pat Tillman Foundation Scholarship

$15,000 average

Awarded to veterans, active duty service members and their spouses. Criteria considered for award include career goals, service record, personal achievement and leadership potential. Applicants must complete two essays.

AFCEA War Veterans Scholarship


Awarded to veterans and active duty service members actively pursuing an undergraduate degree in their sophomore or junior years and receiving a 3.0 GPA.

Military Order of the Purple Heart Scholarship


Purple Heart recipients, their spouses, and direct lineal descendants are eligible for this scholarship. Must maintain at least a 2.75 GPA.

Leave No Veteran Behind Retroactive Scholarship


This is a scholarship for veterans who required loans in order to complete their college education. Scholarship is available to veterans who have completed their degree program. Resume and letter of hardship are required to apply, must commit to 100-400 hours of community service.

Frigginyeah Veteran's Scholarship


Awarded to Veterans or Gold Star Family members of any branch of service, who complete a 500+ word essay on how web- scraped data can be used to improve or create a product or service.


Please note: This is not an exhaustive list of veteran scholarships. Student veterans are also eligible for external scholarships that are not veteran-related.

External Scholarships for Dependent/Spouse




Navy Wife’s Club Scholarship


30 grants issued annually to children of members of the Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard. Applicants must show basis of need and have a 2.5 GPA. Grants are for tuition, room and board, fees, books and supplies.

Marine Corp Scholarship Foundation


Numerous scholarships awarded to the children of Marines and Navy Corpsmen who are entering or are in an undergraduate course of study. Students must have a 2.0 GPA and their family must not have a gross income above $95,000.

Fisher House Military Children Program


Scholarship is open to unmarried children under age 23 of active duty, Reserve/Guard, or retired military commissary customers. Applications must be turned in at the nearest commissary.

Army Scholarship Foundation

$500 to $2,000

Numerous scholarships awarded to the children of current or former Army service members or spouses of current Army service members who are entering or are in an undergraduate course of study. Students must have a 2.0 GPA and their family must not have a gross income above that of an E-9.

American Patriot Scholarship


Scholarship for dependent children of armed forces service members. Essay required for consideration.

NMFA Military Spouse Scholarships

$500 to $2,500

Military spouses and dual military spouses are eligible. Awarded once to recipient and must be used within 12 months. Can be used for undergraduate or graduate programs.

American Legion Auxiliary Scholarships

$2,000 to $5,000

Awarded to dependent children of veterans. Eligible individuals include descendants of participants in past conflicts including the Korean War as well as American Legion Auxiliary members.

Chisholm, Chisholm, & Kilpatrick Child of a Disabled Veteran Scholarship


Scholarship is open to children of a disabled veteran who are either high school seniors with a GPA of 3.0 or students currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program with a GPA of 3.0 or better. Must complete a 500-word essay about giving advice to others with a disabled veteran parent.


Scholarship Search Sites

Veterans Success Center
Crawford Center, Room 208A
200 Glasgow Road
Edinboro, PA 16444
Phone: 814-732-1568

John Christman, Ph.D.
Veterans Success Coordinator
206 Crawford Center
Phone: 814-732-1557