Tax Transcript Request Process
Under certain conditions, some applicants will need to submit to Edinboro University an IRS Tax Return Transcript instead of using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool for verification purposes. All apply to both students and parents unless otherwise noted.
These conditions include:
- The person did not indicate on the FAFSA that the tax return has been completed.
- The person is married and filed the tax return either as head of household or married but filing a separate return.
- The marriage date is January 2019 or later.
- The first three digits of the SSN are 666.
- The tax return was amended.
- The person filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return.
- Neither married parent entered a valid SSN.
- A non-married parent or both married parents entered all zeroes for the SSN.
Students and parents can request a transcript of their prior prior year tax return from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) free of charge by:
- Get Transcript by Mail-Go to gov, select “Get Your Tax Record by Mail”. Click “Get Transcript by Mail”. Make sure to request the “IRS Tax Return Transcript” and NOTthe Account Transcript.
- Get Transcript ONLINE- Go to gov, select “Get Your Tax Record Online”. Create an account. Make sure to request the “IRS Tax Return Transcript” and NOT the Account Transcript.
- Automated Telephone Request1-800-908-9946. Request the Tax Return Transcript, NOT the Account Transcript.
- Paper Request Form-Go to gov. Enter 4506-T in search box. Print the form and submit directly to the IRS.