- General Information
Visions and Revisions:
New Scholars and New Interpretations
An Interdisciplinary Undergraduate Journal
Visions and Revisions is the first undergraduate journal published by the Department of History and Anthropology of Edinboro University of Pennsylvania. Visions and Revisions is the Department's newest effort to encourage undergraduate students to engage in research. The intent of this undergraduate journal is to give aspiring scholars the opportunity to publish work of superior quality.
We are especially grateful for the support from Edinboro University of Pennsylvania and the Dean of Liberal Arts, Terry L. Smith. Funding for Visions and Revisions comes from the Department of History and Anthropology at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania. For information about subscribing to Visions and Revisions contact the Managing Editor at the Department of History and Anthropology of Edinboro University of Pennsylvania.
Managing Editor, Visions and Revisions
This page is organized with the following topics (click on one to jump to a section):
- Process Once an Article is Submitted
- Submission Requirements
- Basic Style Guidelines
- Review Board
- Where to Send Your Submission
- Contact Us
Process Once an Article is Submitted:
When an article is submitted, it is sent to an initial round of reviewers, absent of the name of the author. This is also referred to as “blind refereed.” When they return their reviews, the requested edits are then sent back to the author. When the revised copy of the article is submitted, it is given to a second round of reviewers. The author will then be notified if the article will be accepted for the journal and if any final edits need to be made. Our reviewers include faculty and administrators from Edinboro University as well as faculty from other regional and national institutions.
- Submissions should be the original work of the author and may address any relevant topic, with special consideration given to submissions which deal with anthropology, archaeology, physical anthropology, history, Latin American studies, women's studies, and social science.
- The author's name should appear on a separate title page and nowhere else in the submitted essay.
- Include an abstract of the essay, 250 words maximum on a separate page.
- Be sure to include your name and current mailing address in your cover letter.
- Multiple submissions are permitted.
- Essays should be typed and double-spaced and no more than twelve pages in length.
- Poster presentations should include images; all images must all be 5 x 7 inches so that one image fits on each page; no more than three images may be included; poster presentations should include a six page, double-spaced narrative. It is preferred that the images be incorporated into the text of the narrative at the appropriate place.
- Book reviews should be approximately five hundred words in length.
- All submissions MUST conform to the style standards in Kate Turabian, A Manual for Writers.
Basic Style Guidelines (refer to Turabian for complete style guidelines):
- Authors should avoid the use of first-person pronouns such as "I" or "my" in papers submitted to the journal.
- Use endnotes instead of footnotes.
- Use 12-point font.
- Use one inch margins at the top, bottom, left, and right.
- Pages should be numbered at the top right.
- Papers based on primary sources are preferred, though other sources are acceptable.
- Papers must be the original work of the submitter and must include all appropriate documentation.
- Managing Editor: Jerra Jenrette
- Consulting Editor: Maureen Creamer Bemko
- Editorial Board:
Edinboro University Mercyhurst College Gannon University Tennessee Technological University Wake Forest University Cornell University Arizona State University
- Lenore Barbian
- Ihor Bemko
- Xin-Zhu Chen
- John Cussen
- Martha Donkor
- Amanda Frantz-Mamani
- Dennis Hickey
- Joseph Laythe
- Rhonda Matthews
- Steven Nachman
- Umeme Sababu
- Terry L. Smith
- Roger Solberg
- Ronald Spiller
- Donald Swift
- Renata Wolynec
- Juan Argaez
- Carlos Mamani
- Jeffrey Roberts
- Michele Gillespie
- Jonathan Tenney
- Thomas Joseph Davis
Where to Send Your Submission:
All submitters should review the Process, Submission Requirements, and Basic Style Guidelinesprior to submission. The deadline for submissions is January 20. **THE DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO FEBRUARY 3, 2012** Essays submitted after that deadline may be considered for the subsequent year's issue.
Submit by mail:Send three printed copies of the essay and abstract and a CD containing the submitted essay and abstract as a .doc or .docx file formatted for Windows XP/Vista/7 containing the submitted essay to the address below
Submit by email:Send the essay and abstract as a .doc or .docx file formatted for Windows XP/Vista/7 to Dr. Jerra Jenrette, Managing Editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org
All submissions should be sent to:
Managing Editor, Visions and Revisions
Department of History and Anthropology
235 Scotland Road
Edinboro University of Pennsylvania
Edinboro, PA 16444
If you have any questions about the journal, you can contact Jerra Jenrette, Managing Editor (information above), or Ben Banyas, Associate Editor at VisionsRevisionsEUP@gmail.com