Join us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube

Travel Tips for International Students

  • Homect_img
  • Travel Tips for International Students

Travel Tips for International Students

Frequently Asked Questions

What documents do I need for travel?

For travel within the United States, always carry your I-20/DS-2019 and passport. If traveling outside of the United States, please make sure your passport and visa are valid for reentry. Also, make sure your I-20 or DS-2019 has been signed within the past year, and it is always a good idea to take a copy of your schedule for the next semester with you. Our office can create a verification letter for travel, if needed. Please plan ahead and make sure to allow our office 2-3 days for signatures and letters.

What places can I visit in the United States?

Edinboro University of Pennsylvania is a bus or car ride from many fascinating destinations like:

  • Erie, Pennsylvania - 23 miles
  • Cleveland, Ohio - 95 miles
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - 110 miles
  • Niagara Falls, New York - 114 miles
  • Harrisburg, Pennsylvania - 281 miles
  • Washington, D.C. - 355 miles
  • Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - 388 miles
  • Newark, New Jersey - 405 miles
  • New York, New York - 414 miles

Will I have problems re-entering the United States?

Most student do not. Those who encounter problems at the port of entry often have an expired passport or immigration document. Please check these documents before you leave the United States. Also, notify our office if you do experience difficulties.

Can I visit Mexico or Canada?

Yes, if you meet entry requirements for Mexico or Canada, you can visit. See the U.S. Department of State link to consulates in the United States and entry requirements: About half of Edinboro University international students require a visitor's visa to enter Mexico or Canada. Students must also make sure that their documents for reentering the United States are valid as well. Most students can travel to Canada, Mexico, or one of the islands adjacent to the United States (other than Cuba), for less than 30 days on an expired United States visa, provided that you have a valid SEVIS Form I-20 and a valid, unexpired Form I-94. This process is known as "automatic visa revalidation."

Where should I stay when I travel?

Whether travelling within the United States or outside, has a comprehensive sight for recommended hostels to use.

Can I rent a car?

Renting cars in the United States is usually quite easy, but as an international student, expect to be asked to show extra documents and pay extra fees for insurance. International licenses are recognized in Pennsylvania for up to one year, but students are strongly urged to obtain a PA Driver's License as soon as possible. Contact our office if you are interested in applying for a driver's license.

Back to International Home Page