Extraordinary and Overtime Events
An event consisting of more than 100 people in attendance is considered to be an extraordinary event. Extraordinary events draw large numbers of people and can stress the facility to its maximum capacity.
Extraordinary events are usually held in the Multipurpose Room and or Gymnasium. To preserve the facilities and ensure the safety of participants, the following procedures apply to all extraordinary events scheduled by the Campus Life Office:
- No more than two extraordinary events of similar nature (i.e. dances, lectures, concerts) can be scheduled in and around the Student Center on a single day, unless approved by the Assistant Director of Student Center Operations.
- Events that, based on historical precedent and experience, are likely to attract crowds near to, or in excess of, the established room/space capacities may require Police/Security officers be hired at the sponsor’s expense to provide security and crowd control. Such situations will typically require two officers to be paid at rates established by the Police. Campus Police can be contacted at (814) 732-2921.
- A representative of the sponsoring group who will be taking overall responsibility for the event must meet with the Assistant Director of Student Center Operations to determine special needs for the event. This meeting should take place at least two weeks before the event.
- A student organization’s advisor must give approval and be present for major or extraordinary events that take place in programming areas. Notification of this requirement will be provided to the organization when a major event is requested. Reservation requests will not be approved or confirmed for extraordinary events until these requirements are met.
- Decorations must be approved in advance to ensure compliance with fire/life safety codes and protection of facilities. Items MAY NOT be taped or adhered to walls, windows or other building surfaces, unless special tape is used and approved by the Assistant Director of the Student Center. Use of open flames (candles, etc.) is prohibited unless written permission is received by the Assistant Director of the Student Center. Should an organization fail to follow the prescribed policy, it will be issued a written warning, pay for all associated damages and/or clean-up, and be placed on a six-month probationary period. Should an organization violate this policy again within the probationary period, it will pay for all associated damages/clean-up and will lose reservation privileges for six months. Glitter of any kind is strictly prohibited in the Student Center. Any catered drinks red in color are also prohibited in the Student Center.
- Failure to adhere to these procedures may subject the sponsoring organization to restriction of space usage privileges for the remainder of the academic year or until otherwise advised. Any exceptions to these procedures must be in writing from the Assistant Director of Student Center Operations.
- The primary function of the Food Court is a public dining area and several service departments share operating space in this area, so every effort is made to keep the area accessible to Food Court and retail services customers during regular building hours. Therefore, the Food Court is considered a “last-resort” location for special events that require accommodations that would inhibit the retail services of this space.
- If you’re interested in reserving space outside of normal operating hours, you will need to put your request in writing.
- Your request must be made at least 14 days prior to your event. Extended hours charges will apply (current hourly rate per student staff per number of hours required).
- Staffing will be assigned with a one-hour (1) minimum requirement. The Assistant Director of Student Center Operations will determine appropriate staffing levels.
- The Assistant Director reserves the right to deny extended hours requests based on the number of requests for any given day/time and/or available staff to cover the extended hours.
An additional charge may be incurred if the event requires housekeeping services.