If a professor requires an exam to be taken in person and the student lives more than 60 miles from main campus, the student may be required to arrange for someone to proctor the exam. It is the student’s responsibility to locate and obtain approval for a proctor a minimum of three weeks prior to the first proctored exam.
The student is responsible for any fees associated with the attainment of a proctor or proctoring service.
Please refer to the Procedure for Proctored Exams for Online Courses for detailed information on the process.
Proctor Approval Form
If an external proctor is necessary for your online course, please complete the Exam Proctor Approval Form at the beginning of the semester or session. Instructions are included on the form.
Appropriate Exam Proctors
Acceptable proctor options are specified below; a student’s friend or relative may not serve as a proctor.
- A member of the faculty at any regionally accredited college or university
- An educational administrator at any regionally accredited college, university, or high school
- A full-time teacher at a regionally accredited high school
- A librarian at a public or high school library
- An employee at a learning center or private testing center, such as Sylvan.
- An administrator at a Pennsylvania Community Education Council facility
- For a student in the military, an officer of higher rank than the student
- For an incarcerated student, the institution’s education officer, librarian, or chaplain