Veterans Frequently Asked Questions


Please email with any questions you would like to see answered in this forum.

GI Bill® benefits are not automatic.

Every time you register, add a class, drop a class, withdraw, get an incomplete, fail or repeat a course, you must notify the Veterans Success Center. Every student receiving or applying for GI Bill® benefits at the University must complete and submit the Veterans Education Benefits Request Form (yellow) to the Veterans Success Center in Crawford Center, Room 208A. This form must be completed every semester that you wish to receive veterans’ education benefits at the University. Your attendance will not be certified until all necessary materials are received.

All students, regardless of the benefit they are receiving, should complete the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Most students will be eligible for grants, scholarships or loans in addition to the GI Bill® and must complete the FAFSA in order to apply for these benefits.
The best way to ensure you have the newest information is to regularly review the GI Bill® website and stop in the Veterans Success Center in Crawford Center, Room 208A. Don’t let an important change or benefit pass you by. VA programs change frequently.
With so many programs and no two veterans being alike, there’s no single answer to this question. It’s best to review the programs on the GI Bill® website. If you need any help making your choice, VA Vocational and Employment Counseling help is available to all veterans toll-free at 800-827-1000.

Federal regulations no longer require that most educational-related benefits received by military personnel, veterans and/or their dependents be reported on the FAFSA. Educational Assistance Program (EAP) funds received by National Guardsmen and Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) received by Guardsmen or Reservists are the exceptions. They both count as a resource and may reduce need-based aid. EAP funds are not counted as gift aid in the Pa State Grant formula, while FTA funds are.

For the most current information or specific questions, contact the Financial Aid Office at 814-732-3500.

Review the most up-to-date rate tables for the current GI Bill® programs here.

Veterans are able to transfer benefits, referred to as a “Transfer of Entitlement,” to dependents in certain situations. Review the program here or call 800-827-1000 to speak to a representative from the VA.

For Chapters 30, 1606, and 1607(REAP), you’re required to verify your attendance using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) beginning the last calendar day of the month in order to initiate the payment. Payments are made directly to the student at the beginning of each month for the month prior (for example, you would log into WAVE beginning Feb. 28 to certify for February, and be paid soon after in March). If you have submitted the PennWest Edinboro Veterans Education Benefit Request Form and submitted your verification to WAVE but have not received payment, you can either log back into WAVE to receive a status update or call the GI Bill® hotline at 888-442-4551.

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) and Chapter 35 (DEA) don’t require monthly verification and are paid on or soon after the first of each month. If you’ve been approved for the GI Bill®, submitted the PennWest Edinboro Veterans Education Benefit Request Form and been certified by the Veterans Success Center but do not receive your payment, you must call the GI Bill® hotline at 888-442-4551.

All student veterans are encouraged to submit their military transcripts to PennWest Edinboro for transfer credit evaluation. This can take place during the admissions process or any time afterward.

The following links will take you to the request site for the various branches. The Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps and Navy use the same system to request and send your official military transcripts directly to PennWest Edinboro via the Joint Service Transcript (JST) Service request. For the Air Force, visit Community College of Air Force Transcripts.

Additionally, if you feel that your military experience provided you with life experiences that are applicable to your degree, you can submit a portfolio documenting these experiences, which the University will review and determine what, if any credit, to award.


Contact Us

Veterans Success Center
Crawford Center, Room 208A
200 Glasgow Road
Edinboro, PA 16444
Phone: 814-732-1568

John Christman, Ph.D.
Veterans Success Coordinator
206 Crawford Center
Phone: 814-732-1557

"GI Bill ®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at